Thursday, January 12, 2006

Totaling Mistake

This incident happened when I was in the sixth standard. Ms. Sahani was our English teacher. Sahani was a tall and slim lady who always used to drape herself in a plain saree, usually of a lighter shade. She spoke good English but never took interest in teaching. Somehow, I did not like her. The only time I remember she smiled at me, was during my oral exams in seventh. I was asked to recite some long poem and was asked whether I know it by heart. "But ofcourse", I had said then. Sahani replied, "But ofcourse! Wah!". Coming back to this incident, Sahani was assigned the task of correcting our unit test English papers. She was late as usual with the corrections. When the papers were finally distributed, I got 26 out of maximum possible 30 marks - one short of the class topper in that subject. Imagine my happiness when I found that Sahani had totaled my score improperly. I was getting one extra mark. With a big grin on my face I marched towards Sahani, who was surrounded on all sides by people fighting for more marks. When my turn came, Sahani recalculated the score. It was indeed coming to 27. Then she looked at me and said, "You deserve one less mark for this answer", and swiftly deducted one mark for some answer. My total remained 26. This was the only time I remember that I had a chance to become the top scorer in the class in English.

10 Comments:

Blogger bablu said...

Brings back memories of my school days - this blog of yours. We cant get those Wonder years back - Can we ???

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 12:31:00 PM  
Blogger Dipa said...

Childhood days are the best! Have you visited www.IUsedToBelieve.com ? Has some funny stories...

Thursday, January 19, 2006 9:14:00 PM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Babu : Never again can we get them back :-)

Dipa : Yes, they are. Will visit that soon!

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 12:51:00 PM  
Blogger Art said...

Coming very late to this.. Ur blog is showing the Holy Bumper as the latest.. No wonder I dint come here for long...
Well I remember i had got 25/25 in Physics.. I knew i had to get 23.. so I went and got my marks cut down..

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 11:36:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Fighting the teacher for marks has always been a highlight during the school days. Seems so distant now. LOL.

Monday, October 22, 2007 9:10:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

:-) Distant and stupid too. But then, marks were so important :-D

Monday, October 22, 2007 9:17:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I still remember this lady. She used to be my neighbor and also happened to teach Geography to my class. I never really liked her and always cracked up in class when she used to say the word "monitor" cuz she really used to say "muniter". LOL.

Saturday, November 03, 2007 11:56:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

May be she said " Man eater" ;-)

Sunday, November 04, 2007 5:54:00 AM  
Blogger SparkleSupi said...

Neel.. Such things have happened with me too..
once i indulged in cheap-giri to becum the topper. i convinced the professor 2 either reduce the toppers marks so that u know i m the topper (because she had writtena terrible answer and got those marks just becs he use to like her :P)or increase 1 mark so in anycase i m the topper..

Thursday, January 24, 2008 1:14:00 AM  
Blogger workhard said...

Remembering good old childhood days.. u must be wondering why did u ever go back..so to have ur marks deducted

Work from home India

Thursday, November 12, 2009 12:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home