Friday, October 21, 2005

Baaye Mud

The other day I went to Shopper's Stop with Harish. Harish bought a pants and wanted it to be altered. When we asked one of the sales men where should we proceed for the alteration, he pointed towards his left and told us, "Take the right". Confusing left with right is not uncommon. As he said that, I remembered how we would remember(and I still do it that way) daaye(right in Hindi) and baaye(left) when we were in school. Mr. Tikekar was our Physical Training teacher and we had marching as part of our physical training course. Mr. Tikekar used to shout, "Left..Right, Left, Right, Left....Baaye Mud(Take Left)", and I, more often than not, used to take the wrong turn. That was when some bright chap told me this. I was asked to remember 'B for Baaye' and 'B for Badge'. On our school uniform, we had a badge that was stiched to our left(baaye), above the pockets for guys and on the left pinafore strap for girls and I was asked to turn in the direction of the Badge for Baaye and the opposite direction for Daaye. And it was not long before I realised that almost everyone in the school memorised it in the same way!

2 Comments:

Blogger Art said...

haha..this was funny... Good u finally realized it...or rather memorized it :)

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 4:12:00 AM  
Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

Art : Still have to go back to school days whenever I have to say baaye and daaye :-)

Saturday, October 29, 2005 1:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home